FCC Licensing information

FCC Licensing

Every nation has rules and regulations governing the use of two way radio equipment. The owner is responsible for compliance, or risk prosecution.

MURS (MULTI-USE frequencies)

M.U.R.S.  (multi use radio service) radios operate on 2 watts of RF power and fall into the Multi-use category when used on the following frequencies: 154.5700 (default channel 1), 154.6000 (default channel 2), 151.8200, 151.9400, and 151.8800. These radios may be used without an FCC license.


Any two way radio products listed on the Radio Service Online Web site operate on FM frequencies that are subject to the rules and regulations of the local communication governing agencies. These agencies may require that all operators using private land mobile or general mobile radio frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment. The operator receives a license for use of the radio equipment under a specific eligibility and on a particular frequency or set of frequencies. To determine eligibility for use of private land mobile radio frequencies, contact your local communications governing agency. This agency can supply information required to properly obtain and complete the license application form.


Family Radio Service (FRS) frequencies like the ones found in our Kenwood FreeTalk TK-3230, are meant for recreational use and do not require licensing in the United States.

The following is a list of communications agencies in various countries:

United States of America

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

Request document 3060001 which includes all forms and instructions. You can have this document faxed via Fax On Demand, or mailed. If you have questions please use the following contact information.

FCC Fax On Demand 1-202-418-0177

FCC Phone hot-line for having information mailed 1-800-418-FORM (3676)

FCC Questions 1-888-CALL-FCC (225-5322)

FCC Online http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home


Head Equipment Approval Unit

Industry Canada

1241 Clyde Avenue

Ottawa, Ontario K2C-1Y3


Phone (613) 998-5968


Secrataria De Comunicaciones Y Transportes

Direccion General de Politicas

Y Normas de Comunicaciones

Av. Eugenia No. 197 -5o. Piso

Mexico, D. F. 06700

If your country is not listed here we recommend you contact your nearest two way radio dealer.