FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions about two way radio
Q: What about FCC licensing?
A:Business frequencies require an FCC license. Individuals and families who use consumer model radios on FRS frequencies do not need a license. If you use GMRS frequencies, you need a FCC license. This license is good for 5 to 10 years. GMRS licenses are not issued to businesses.

For more information on FCC licensing we suggest contacting the Federal Communications commission at 1-800-CALL FCC or online at www.fcc.gov.

Q: What Radios should I use for my Business?

A: If you are new to two way and are considering using 2 way radios for the first time, note that not all radios are ready to use when you take them out of the box. Always ask your provider if programing or licensing are required. The UHF models will have a tendency to penetrate brick, mortar, and steel better than Vhf, but Vhf is usually quite adequate. Vhf has properties that exhibit more overall range in distance than UHF, but again, UHF is also fairly adequate. The obvious rule of thumb is that more power has better performance. If you're just talking in a building of 100,000 sq feet or less, than a 1 watt radio would be fine. For better performance or a larger area, go with a 2 watt. For maximum coverage, 4 watts UHF is as high as you can go. See the chart below...
two way radio Range chart

Q: What is the difference between FRS and GMRS radios?

A: FRS or Family Radio Service radios are small handhelds, normally for recreational uses over a relatively short range. FRS radios operate over 14 dedicated channels (1-14) and have a maximum allowable power of 0.5 watt. GMRS or General Mobile Radio Service radios operate on dedicated channels (15-22) and have power rating of 1.0 to 5.0 watts with a maximum of 50 watts.